The 2022 Student Trooper/Youth Cadet Law Enforcement Program has been canceled due to COVID concerns by the Michigan State Police. The Dates for 2023 and application timeline will be available in September 2022.
Are you a high school student interested in a law enforcement career?
Would you like to learn about what a career in law enforcement is like before you decide?
The American Legion, Department of Michigan in partnership with the Michigan State Police Training Academy in Lansing provides an opportunity for high school students in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades to learn about a career in law enforcement.
Students spend one week at the Michigan State Police Training site learning many aspects of a law enforcement career.
Youth Law Brochure
- Proper gun safety while live-firing handguns under the supervision of the Michigan State Police firing range officers.
- Self-defense techniques
- The adrenaline rush of underwater rescue and recovery in the training center pool
- Crash site investigation
- First aid
- Police K-9 units and their incredible abilities
- Basic “CSI- Crime Scene Investigations”
- Intense physical training (Yes, you will run!)
- How to work as a team
How to apply for the Youth Cadet Law Enforcement program?
Please leave your name and email in the form below to be notified about future opportunities.
- Be in good health
- Be capable of strenuous exercise
- Handle strict discipline
- Have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher
- Must not have a juvenile or criminal record
- Be interest in criminal justice
- A level 2 drivers license preferred
All forms must be completely filled out.
The program fee for 2022 is $475 per student
Are sponsorships available?
Parents and students are encouraged to contact their local American Legion post to ask if they would sponsor them. Anyone can pay the $475 it does not have to come from an American Legion Post.
Application submission does NOT guarantee admission to the program.
The MSP has limited space at their facility and admission is limited to 30-45 students depending on availability.
The determination of admission will be announced in the first week of June. Admission is determined by the MSP trooper in charge and their decision is final.
Refunds are given back to the sponsors for students not selected to attend.
For questions email email@example.com
To be notified about a new class: